Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships
Call for Applicants for 2019-20 Competition
The Oxford School of Global and Area Studies will support applications to the Leverhulme Trust Early-Career Fellowships 2019. The 2019 round will open on 1 January 2019. These enable early-career researchers to undertake a significant piece of publishable work and to advance to a more permanent academic position. The research may be in any subject area, with the exception of studies of disease, illness and disabilities in humans and animals, and research that is intended to inform clinical practice and the development of medical applications.
Fellowships may be held at universities or at other institutions of higher education in the UK. Applicants must not yet have held a full-time established academic post at a UK university or comparable UK institutions. All candidates must be within four years of their doctoral thesis submission or have equivalent research experience by the time they take up the fellowship. They must also either hold a degree from a UK higher education institution at the time of taking up the fellowship or at the time of application hold an academic position, such as a fixed-term lectureship or fellowship, in the UK. Approximately 100 fellowships are available. Each fellowship provides up to £25,000 per year to cover 50 per cent of the fellow’s total salary costs and may include research expenses of up to £6,000 per year. Fellowships are tenable for three years full time, but the Trust may consider part time requests. The scheme is based on a pattern of joint support whereby the Leverhulme Trust will contribute 50% of the Fellow’s total salary costs and the balance is to be contributed by the host institution.
Those who are interested to apply for this scheme should note the following OSGA internal application procedure:
- By December 10th, 2018, please express of interest by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org and in CC email@example.com, your CV accompanied by the title and an abstract of your research project (100 words) and the name of a potential supervisor in the School;
- By 9th January 2019, please send the first draft of your application. Please, DO NOT submit it via the Leverhulme Trust portal, but send a pdf file of your application (downloaded from the portal) to firstname.lastname@example.org and in CC email@example.com. OSGA’s internal panel will provide information about the selected proposal within 10 days.
- By 1st February 2019, please send the final draft of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, DO NOT submit it via the Leverhulme Trust portal, but send a pdf file of your application downloaded from the portal;
- The proposals selected for the OSGA’s support must be completed and submitted via the Leverhulme Trust portal by noon, 11th February 2019.
Because of the formal institutional approval is required both from the Head of the host department and from an administrative officer on behalf of the host institution, OSGA will formally approve the applications and submit them to the University’s Research Services Office no later than 22 February 2019. The Research Services Office will submit process and submit the proposals to the Leverhulme Trust by 28 February 2019 at 4pm .
Before applying, interested candidates should look through the information available from the Leverhulme Trust.
· General information about the scheme can be found at
· Eligibility information can be found at
· Application information and further scheme guidance can be found at