Rethinking Area Studies: Examining the role of African Studies in the Global North
Conveners: Dr Rachel Taylor and Dr Peter Brooke
Speaker: Dr Awino Okech, SOAS
Dr Awino Okech is a Reader in Political Sociology at SOAS, University of London. Her teaching and research interests lie in the nexus between gender, sexuality and nation/state making projects as they occur in conflict and post-conflict societies. Dr Okech has a much longer history of gender and conflict programming work in Africa with a range of international and national organisations. Dr Okech’s recent publications include Movement Building Responses to COVID-19: Lessons from the JASS Mobilisation Fund (2021), Feminist Digital Counterpublics: Challenging Femicide in Kenya and South Africa (2021), African Feminist Epistemic Communities and Decoloniality (2020) and Gender, Protests and Political Change in Africa (2020).
Join the Teams meeting here.
We have a limited number of seats due to Covid-regulations and only members of the University may attend in person. As a courtesy to others please wear a mask. Unfortunately we will not be able to admit anyone once capacity has been reached. As an alternative the seminar can also be accessed via Teams, where it is also open to members of the public. The Teams meeting details will be provided here ahead of the event.
Covid-19 Guidelines for university members attending in person:
- St Antony's ask that attendees take a lateral flow test on the morning of the event. If positive, stay at home
- Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms of COVID-19, a member of your household is self-isolating, or if you are in quarantine
- Wear a face covering where indicated, unless exempt
- Be considerate of other people’s space
- Wash your hands regularly with soap or sanitiser
- You are asked to use the official NHS QR code posters displayed throughout the College site