Newton International Fellowship 2020
The British Academy, the Royal Society, and the Academy of Medical Sciences run the Newton International Fellowship scheme 2020. It will select the very best early-stage post-doctoral researchers that not hold UK citizenship and should be working outside of the UK at the point of application, and offer support for two years at UK research institutions. The long-term aim of the scheme is to build a global pool of research leaders and encourage long-term international collaboration with the UK.
The aims of this scheme are as follows:
- To support the development and training of postdoctoral researchers at an early stage of their career from any country outside the UK, by providing an opportunity to work at a UK research institution for two years.
- To ensure the best postdoctoral researchers across all relevant disciplines from around the world are supported in the UK.
- To foster long-term relations between Newton International Fellows and the UK research base through the establishment of an alumni programme for former Fellows of this Scheme. The alumni programme includes the possible provision of further funding for Newton International Fellows for follow-on activities, to enable links with UK-based researchers to be maintained and developed.
Research must be within the British Academy’s remit of the humanities and social sciences. All details about the eligible subjects and value of funding and support provided are on https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/newton-international-fellowships-2020-guidance-notes
The scheme provides grants of £24,000 per annum to cover subsistence (tax exempt) and up to £8,000 per annum to cover research expenses, a one-off payment of up to £3,000 for relocation expenses in year one only (£2,000 for EEA Nationals). Newton International Fellows may be eligible for follow-up funding of up to £6,000 per annum for up to 5 years following the completion of the Fellowship.
The Oxford School of Global and Area Studies will support applications to the Newton International Fellowships 2020. The 2020 round opens on 23 January 2020. This scheme focuses on early career international researchers. OSGA holds an annually internal competition to decide which application(s) will be put forward under the scheme. Those who are interested to apply for this scheme should note that following the OSGA internal application procedure:
- By February 25th, 2020 , please send the first draft of your application. Please, DO NOT submit it via the Flexi Grant portal, but send a pdf file of your application (downloaded from the portal) email@example.com and in CC firstname.lastname@example.org. OSGA’s internal panel will provide information about the selected proposals within 10/15 working days.
- By 4th March 2020, the selected proposals will be invited to send the final draft of the application to email@example.com and in CC firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, DO NOT submit it via the FlexiGrant portal, but send a pdf file of your application downloaded from the portal;
- The proposals selected for the OSGA’s support must be completed and submitted via the Flexi Grant portal by noon, 18th March 2020.
Before applying, interested candidates should look through the information available on https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/funding/newton-international-fellowships
Requests for further information are welcome. Please contact Francesca Tucci, Research Development Officer (email@example.com).